Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What Makes a Good Movie?

There are many Genres to movies. I just listed some genres and some examples for each....

Disaster movies: 2012, War of the Worlds, The day after tomorrow, Independence day, Armageddon
, The Core, Deep Impact, Haeundae (Korean Movie)....etc

Zombie movies: I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead, 28 weeks later, 28 days later, Awaken the Dead, Corpses, Dawn of the living dead, death of the dead....etc

Robot Movies: AI, Irobot, Transformers, Minority Report, Island, Terminator, Eagle Eye, Surrogates....etc

Horror/Thriller movies: Disturbia, Saw, Paranormal Activity, When a Stranger Calls you, Final Destination, The shining, Scream, The Hills have eyes, The Mist, One missed call, The orphan, Hide and Seek, Silent Hill, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, I Know what you did last summer, The ring….etc

Fantasy movies: Harry Potter, Twilight, Narnia, Lord of the rings, The Hunger games, Percy Jackson, pan's labyrinth...etc

- and lots more-

I may be forgetting some important ones but I think I have collected at least some of the Mother of all Movies, like Transformers, Harry Potter, AI, I am legend, War of the worlds, Titanic, The Devil Wears Prada, The nightmare before Christmas, Toy Story....So what makes these movies stand out amongst their fellow movies?

It is perhaps the director itself who is different, for Example, most of these movies are by very famous directors, James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Woody Allen etc. Movies like these are different in a way that there isn't a single flaw, there isn't a part in the movie where you feel that you are watching a movie. A good movie is one in where you sweat your butt off and when it finishes you get depressed because its over and now you have to face your own boring life.

Its the little things that makes a movie different from the way the actors act, from how they react, their every words, it all makes a difference. The director has to be good enough to be able to create a whole new character and that is not as easy as it seems for its like creating a human being. Every characteristic and style, is matched with each body part. The way one talks, they way they act, their little movements, their unconscious and conscious and every little habit is monitored by me, the audience. And if they don't speak the exact right words, or if they act awkwardly, it is so visible to the audience. Because you see, people like me don't just watch the movie, we watch every little spectrum, every corner and picture is eyed carefully and exactly.

Anyways......you don't know how awe I am in after I watch a great movie. I worship the directors who create such a masterpiece. Like recently, I watched The War of the Worlds and I swear I couldn't get up for 10 minutes after the movie. Mind-Blowing, I was paralyzed by the masterpiece, even now I'm barely swallowing my saliva and cold sweat may just be crawling out of my sides. (My mom Tsks her tongue on this and tells me to feel this way after I read 'BOOKS' but really, I swear movies are just as educational as books, I mean, if you watch it like me....I don't miss a single word...)

Its really amazing how the same actor/actress is shaped so differently by each different movie.......I'm just in so much awe I might as just go cry now........



No comments:

Post a Comment